A focus on wellbeing and care
Wellbeing and care are essential aspects of creating a positive and nurturing learning environment that supports the overall development and success of students. It encompasses physical, mental, emotional, and social well-being. Here are some key components and strategies that contribute to promoting wellbeing and care at St Crispin’s:
- A Safe and Inclusive Environment: Creating a physically and emotionally safe school environment is crucial. We foster a culture of respect and acceptance, and ensure that all students feel included, regardless of their background or abilities. Small class sizes, of no more than 16 students, produce a close knit community that welcomes all.
- Mental Health Support: Strategies to encourage positive mental health are shared with all students. Our ‘open-door’ policy and online ‘concern button’ mean there is always someone available for students who may be dealing with stress, anxiety, depression, or other emotional challenges. Teachers and staff are trained to recognise signs of mental health issues, making a significant difference to those who may struggle to explain the challenges they face.
- Health and Nutrition: St Crispin’s actively promotes healthy lifestyles. Advising students on what makes nutritious meals, encouraging physical activity, and educating students about healthy habits contribute to their overall well-being. Our ‘healthy eating’ policy encourages a positive approach to food and drink within school. Daily sports sessions and a range of sports club activities keep our students fit and active.
- Positive Relationships: Building positive relationships between students, teachers, and staff is vital. Positive interactions create a supportive atmosphere that fosters trust, respect, and open communication.
- Social and Emotional Learning (SEL): Implementing SEL programs as part of our (PRRCS) programme helps students develop essential life skills such as self-awareness, empathy, emotional regulation, and problem-solving. These skills contribute to students’ emotional well-being and better social interactions.
- Addressing Bullying and Harassment: We have a zero-tolerance policy towards any forms of abuse, supported by clear policies for addressing and preventing bullying and harassment. Parents are encouraged to share any concerns at an early stage so that action can be taken. Promptly addressing any such incidents helps to create a safer environment for all students.
- Encouraging Creativity and Expression: Providing opportunities for students to express themselves through arts, music, sports, and other extracurricular activities can contribute to their emotional well-being and overall happiness. Club activities encourage active expression and are further enhanced by our active student council, who encourage club requests from our student body.
- Stress Reduction Techniques: Mindfulness practices, relaxation exercises, and stress reduction techniques discussed as part of our PRRCS programme can help students cope with academic and personal challenges.
- Involving Parents and Guardians: It is essential to create a strong support system for the students and help address their needs holistically. At St Crispin’s we encourage an open home-school partnership to ensure that the children’s education and well-being is kept at the forefront of all we do.
- Professional Development for Staff: Ongoing training and professional development forms part of our staff development programme, with topics such as mental health, classroom management, and building positive relationships to enable them to better support the students’ well-being.
- Early Intervention and Support: Identifying and addressing learning or behavioural challenges early on can prevent larger issues from developing and provide appropriate support to students who need it.
- Promoting Positive Behaviour: Recognising and rewarding positive behaviour encourages a positive school culture and motivates students to continue making positive choices.
By prioritising the well-being and care of students, St Crispin’s creates an environment where students feel valued, supported, and empowered to reach their full potential academically, emotionally, and socially.